Braund Grocery Stores
It was about the year 1869 when Joseph and his wife, Charlotte (Bond) Braund immigrated from England with their three young daughters. Arriving in Ontario, the family settled onto a farm near Newcastle, Durham County. Here another five children, all sons, were born to them. Two of the boys, Ralph Colwell born in 1870 and his younger brother, Joseph, born in 1873, went to live in Peterborough, Ontario as young men.
Departure from the Family Farm
Ralph Colwell Braund, came to Peterborough around 1893. He worked for a short time for Michael Carton, a grocer with a store at 137 Simcoe Street. In the same year that Ralph came to Peterborough, he married Amelia May Greene, daughter of Henry and Jane. The wedding took place in Peterborough on 13 April 1893. Thereafter, Ralph and Amelia made their home at 111 Park Street for a few years. Ralph went into business for himself as soon as possible. In 1894, he started a grocery store in one part of the house where they lived.
About 1902, Ralph and Amelia moved to a house at 53 Park Street. Next door at 55 Park Street, Ralph operated his Dry Goods Store where he sold everything from bicycles to patent medicines. Today, in 2017, this property is part of the Tim Horton’s Coffee shop at the corner of Park and Albert streets.
Brothers in the Grocery Business
Ralph now had serious competition from his younger brother, John Thomas Braund, who had moved to Peterborough about 1897. John set up his first grocery store on the east side of River Road at Lot 2. The area was known at the time as Auburn, taking its’ name from the nearby Auburn Mills. In 2017, this area is part of Armour Road, north of Parkhill Road.
On 28 July 1898, John Thomas Braund married Essie Lucretia Jane Law. Their wedding took place in the village of Ashburnham. The following year, 1899, Essie and John established their home at 148 Smith Street. John now operated his grocery store from 718 George Street, which in fact, was part of the same building as their home. The front of the building faced onto Smith Street, which was later renamed Parkhill Road. This was their home address. The rear of the building faced onto George Street and therefore had the 718 George Street address.